This is the tea that started the scientific research on the health benefits of tea. Japanese scientist were puzzled as to why the per capita rates of stomach and esophagus cancer in Shizuoka, Japan were lower compared to other parts of Japan. Was it diet, environment and/or lifestyle? One thing researchers found was consumption of green tea was higher in Shizuoka because this is where much of Japan's tea comes from.
Classic Sencha green tea is the daily drink of Japan with herbaceous green notes and lively astringency. Classic Sencha and Japanese food go together like a match made in heaven.
- High in antioxidants
- Moderate caffeine
- Palate cleansing astringency
- Taste: bittersweet with mild astringency
- Bouquet: grassy
- Body: medium
- Liquor: yellow green
- Steep: 3 minutes; subsequent infusions 15-30 seconds
- Leaf Amount: 3 grams per cup
- Water Temp: First infusion at 165 degrees F (74 C). Subsequent infusions at 185 F (85 C)
premium green tea